Omoyele Sowore, the 2027 presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), has accused operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) of subjecting him to discriminatory treatment at the Peace Accord signing ceremony.
Sowore made the allegation in a post on his verified X account on Wednesday, where he described his experience at the event as an example of how security agencies treat Nigerians based on their social and political status.
According to him, he was stopped by DSS operatives at the entrance to the venue despite being a presidential candidate invited to the event.
He said one of the operatives demanded to see his invitation letter before allowing him access.
Sowore claimed the operative later acknowledged that he knew he was a presidential candidate, but the questioning at the entrance continued.
He alleged that the treatment became more frustrating when another presidential candidate arrived at the venue with a long convoy.
According to Sowore, the other candidate was allowed into the venue without facing similar checks.
He said he was also told that members of his staff could not accompany him into the venue.
The AAC candidate further alleged that his camera crew was also prevented from entering.
Sowore said he rejected the conditions and insisted that he should be treated in the same manner as other presidential candidates attending the peace meeting.
He described the incident as discriminatory and accused security agencies of judging people by the size of their convoys and the number of security personnel around them.
“I arrived at the National Peace Committee’s Peace Accord signing event, only to be blocked at the gate by the DSS operatives.
“One of them demanded to see my invitation letter, even though he later admitted that he knew I was a presidential candidate.
“While this was going on, another presidential candidate swept in with his long convoy and was ushered through without any of this harassment.
“Then came another condition: I would not be allowed in with my staff. After that, they said my camera crew would not be allowed in either.
“I refused to accept this discriminatory treatment. If this is supposed to be a peace accord involving presidential candidates, then every candidate must be treated with equal dignity and respect.
“Not according to the size of their convoy, the number of security vehicles around them, or how much privilege they display.
“I insisted on my rights and made it clear that I would not succumb to discriminatory conduct,” he tweeted.
The AAC candidate has repeatedly accused the DSS and other government security institutions of using their powers against him because of his political activities and outspoken criticism of the government.
The Peace Accord is intended to encourage candidates and political parties to commit themselves to peaceful campaigns and elections.
The National Peace Committee, led by former Head of State General Abdulsalami Abubakar, has played a major role in organising the accord ahead of previous elections.
Sowore has previously attended such events and has also used them to raise concerns about the conduct of Nigeria’s political process.
However, Sowore’s disagreement with the DSS is not new, as the activist has been involved in several confrontations with the security agency over his political activities, public statements and ongoing court case.
On September 8, 2025, the DSS issued Sowore a one-week ultimatum to retract a social media post in which he referred to President Bola Tinubu as a “criminal”.
The agency described the post as false, malicious and capable of causing public disturbance and disorder. It also warned that failure to comply could lead to further action within the law.
Sowore, however, rejected the demand.
In a response reported on September 12, 2025, he argued that the DSS could not dictate how he should criticise the President.
“The @OfficialDSSNG has finally sent me a letter asking me to delete my tweet and @facebook posting against Tinubu. Here is their letter and my response to their DG,” Sowore said.
The disagreement eventually moved beyond social media exchanges.
On September 16, 2025, the DSS filed a five-count charge at the Federal High Court in Abuja against Sowore over the disputed posts. X Corp and Meta were initially listed alongside him in the case.
The government later amended the charge, leaving Sowore as the sole defendant.
The case has continued into 2026.
On June 24, 2026, the DSS ordered an investigation into the conduct of some of its operatives after a video emerged showing security officials dragging Sowore from the hallway of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The development followed an order by the court remanding Sowore at the Kuje Correctional Centre after his bail was revoked. The DSS said it would investigate the conduct of the operatives involved.
Sowore was later granted bail on June 30, 2026, by the Federal High Court in Abuja, subject to conditions including a N200 million bond for each of two sureties. The court also ordered him to surrender his international passport.



