Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at Umahi’s Residence

Mary Habila, the 26-year-old Nigerian who died at the private residence of the Minister of Works, David Umahi, in Ebonyi State, has been buried in Kaduna State, weeks after her death.

Habila, who hailed from Nok in Jaba Local Government Area of Kaduna State, died on June 27, 2026, at Umahi’s private residence in Uburu, Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

Her death led to public reactions and calls for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding what happened at the minister’s residence.

The controversy also led to calls from some Nigerians for President Bola Tinubu to remove Umahi from office.

Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence
Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence

However, the minister later revealed that Tinubu rejected the calls for his removal and instead urged him to remain focused on his duties.

Speaking in a video after his birthday on July 25, Umahi said he was surprised that the death of his staff member had been turned into a political issue.

“Power and might does not belong to social media, it belongs to God. And God sees the heart of men. What surprised me is that when people took the death of one of my best workers and started to play politics, they said the President should sack me,” Umahi said.

He questioned why he should be removed from office over the incident. The minister said, “Why should you sack me? For doing what? So anybody that is working with you and dies, then you must be sacked? But the President surprised all of them. Instead, he said, ‘Dave, go and build more roads.’”

Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence
Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence

Umahi also said he cancelled celebrations for his birthday because he was mourning Habila and an uncle who died around the same period.

“Together with one of my uncles who also collapsed after watching Egypt in a World Cup match, the two deaths made me say we would not do any outward celebration for my birthday. That is why I directed all over the country that it should not be celebrated because we are mourning,” he said.

The minister has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing in connection with Habila’s death and said neither he nor any member of his family had anything to do with it.

Umahi also criticised those he accused of attempting to profit politically from the tragedy.

“My prayer is this: if any member of my family or I had any hand in it, let our own fate be worse than that,” he said.

“But for those who want to profit from it, for those who want to play politics with it, I give the same prayer to them. If what they are saying is correct, let it be well with them. But otherwise, over the death of the young lady, their own will be worse than that. It’s a fair prayer,” he added.

Following Habila’s death, her body was later moved from Ebonyi State to Abuja for a forensic autopsy after consultations involving her family, legal representatives and authorities handling the case.

Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence
Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence

The transfer followed a request from lawyers representing Umahi for the family’s consent to conduct a forensic examination.

The family agreed to the autopsy but requested that it be carried out in Abuja and that the investigation be transferred to the Nigeria Police Force Headquarters in the Federal Capital Territory.

In a letter, the family’s lawyer said, “That our client hereby agrees and consent for an autopsy on the body of Late Mary Habila subject to the transfer of the case to the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters, Abuja, FCT.”

The family said the decision was aimed at ensuring that the circumstances surrounding Habila’s death were properly established.

Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence
Mary Habila Finally Buried Weeks After Death at David Umahi’s Residence

The lawyers said the request was made “to quench the thirst of the General Public, for transparency, fairness and ensuring that the true cause and manner of the deceased death are conclusively established.”