A government-operated ferry that capsized on Zimbabwe’s Lake Kariba last week was carrying about 180 passengers, twice the number previously given by police as its capacity, the government said on Tuesday, as the death toll from the disaster climbed to 94.
A state-owned newspaper, The Herald, described the incident as the deadliest transport disaster in Zimbabwe’s history, surpassing a 1991 bus crash that claimed 89 lives.
The ferry was travelling from the northern town of Kariba to a remote rural community on the lake when it overturned after being hit by strong waves.
Police had said last week that the vessel was designed to accommodate only 90 passengers. Although the government did not specify the vessel’s official passenger limit in its latest statement, it said the 180 passengers and goods on board exceeded “its carrying capacity.”
Police on Tuesday confirmed that the death toll had risen to 94, following a steady increase in fatalities since the ferry capsized.
According to the government statement issued after a Cabinet meeting, 77 people have so far been rescued, while search and recovery efforts are still underway.
Lake Kariba, which lies along the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, is one of the largest man-made reservoirs in the world.
We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join THISTIMES on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →
Join Our WhatsApp Channel



