South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30 as a fresh deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country, as it staged a protest outside the Southern African Development Community summit in Durban on Monday.
The group marched through central Durban under the theme: “It’s time to fetch your people,” calling on African leaders attending the 46th SADC Summit to take back their citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation.
March and March had previously led nationwide protests on June 30, demanding tougher action against undocumented foreigners and warning that it would continue its campaign until the government addressed its immigration demands.
Announcing its latest action, the group said the September 30 deadline would mark the “second wave” of its June 30 national day of action, describing it as a planned “mother of all protests” aimed at pushing for the deportation of undocumented foreigners.
The movement also called on South Africans to comply with the law and assist the police by reporting foreigners they believe are in the country illegally.
The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government is being held in Durban, bringing together leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states.
The protest comes amid renewed debate over South Africa’s treatment of foreign nationals, particularly citizens from other African countries.
President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against foreign nationals, saying South Africa should not promote regional integration at diplomatic gatherings while practising exclusion within the country.
Ramaphosa said South Africans should be “deeply ashamed” that people from other countries had suffered ill-treatment and, in some cases, been forced to leave because of threats of violence.
The June 30 protests were accompanied by security operations and reports of attacks and looting in some areas, according to police reports cited in the original report.
March and March has continued to demand tougher action against undocumented immigration, while tensions over the treatment of foreign nationals have prompted some African countries to evacuate their citizens.
The latest protest has brought the immigration dispute directly to the doorstep of a regional summit attended by leaders whose citizens are among those affected.
We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join THISTIMES on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →
Join Our WhatsApp Channel


