Unknown gunmen on Wednesday launched a deadly attack on the convoy of Osun State governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel.
The attack, which lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, sent traders, residents and other people in the area fleeing for safety as heavy gunfire rang out around the palace and adjoining areas.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return at the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, during which Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the Ataoja.
The eyewitness said the attack began shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers.
According to her, Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives and had boarded his vehicle with some of his close aides when heavy gunshots suddenly erupted.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots.
“Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.
A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have been aware of the governor’s visit and allegedly waited for his arrival.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace.
“They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back,” she said.
Munirat said traders and residents abandoned their wares and businesses as the shooting intensified, adding that the attackers allegedly engaged the governor’s convoy again near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The attack caused widespread panic in the area, with several business owners hurriedly shutting their shops while residents sought safety.
Confirming the incident, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
As of 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several businesses remained shut amid fears of further violence.
We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join THISTIMES on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →
Join Our WhatsApp Channel

