Flooding: Wike Defends Demolition Of Abuja Structures Blocking Waterways

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has defended the ongoing demolition of structures obstructing waterways in Abuja, insisting that those who erected the structures acted outside the law.

Wike spoke on Wednesday while responding to questions on the demolition exercise, which commenced after his inspection of flood-prone areas of Maitama on Tuesday.

The minister was confronted with criticisms on social media over whether the FCT Administration had followed due process in carrying out the demolitions.

Responding, Wike asked: “What is due process? You went to block a water channel, is that due process?”

He insisted that the FCT Administration was the one following due process by removing structures obstructing waterways and creating risks for residents.

“I am the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done,” he said.

Wike also disclosed that the enforcement would extend beyond Maitama to other parts of Abuja where structures had been erected on or around drainage channels and waterways.

“Certainly. We have just started somewhere. After that, we move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” Wike said.

According to the minister, removing the obstructions would restore the free flow of water and help mitigate flooding in communities affected by blocked drainage channels.

He said the responsibility of the FCT Administration was to protect the wider public, particularly in situations where private structures obstructed waterways and increased the risk of flooding.

The development comes amid renewed concerns over flooding in Abuja following heavy rainfall that affected several parts of the Federal Capital Territory, including Maitama, Lokogoma and Wuse, over the weekend.

The FCT Administration has, in recent weeks, intensified enforcement against structures encroaching on waterways, drainage corridors and other areas considered critical to flood management.

The exercise is also part of efforts by the administration to enforce the FCT master plan and improve drainage and flood-control measures across the nation’s capital.


We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join THISTIMES on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →


Join Our WhatsApp Channel